Martin Luther King, Jr. Park Pond – 2. It runs for miles all the way down to the Potomac and has numerous access points carved out by the many roads that cut across its length. Izaak Walton Pond – 2. So you're interested in fishing Great Seneca Creek. Largemouth Bass . Putting lunch time side trips out of mind, I immediately concluded that my first traffic diversion would be to here rather than the Patuxent. You can slip and fall on rocks and sustain severe injury. Instead, I walked half mile upstream, slid down the steep bank after walking through an open field and began fishing upstream as was/is my habit. Getting There: From I270, get onto 124 South at Gaithersburg (Exit 11 if coming from the north; Exit 10 if coming from the south – take Clopper Road up to 124 and then turn left). Later on, there are more places where it is easier to climb down into the water. All sorts of bad things can happen to you when to go into the woods to visit the places documented here. You can drown. The trout die by the end of June; leaving nothing but empty water and the distant hope of the next stocking in the spring. Great seneca creek trout fishing. Regulations and property ownership may have changed since publication. While the creek bed does support easy wading, it continues to features steep banks that require caution on entering and exiting the stream. Not a chub, bluegill or trout to be had. Disclaimer and Warning:  The contents of this site reflect the opinion of the author and you, the reader, must exercise care in the use and interpretation of this information. The trek to the falls is a 2.5 mile walk. Greenbelt Lake – 0. Nothing. Be sure to have some dry shoes with you because the walk is hard on your wading boots. Secrets Revealed? Turn right and follow it to the creek. Last year, I had finished the entire great Seneca Creek (I owe you to write ups of every section) and my favorite was the Black Rock downstream stretch. The Creek looked good. At about the half mile point from the entrance, I ran into a pair of spinfishermen working their way downstream. No. No luck. In fact, my movement was generally restricted and I eventually gave up. On this day, I walked upstream in search of trout. The stream is a freestone stream about nine and one-half miles long, that flows into the North Fork of Great Seneca Creek is a stream located just 3 miles from Darnestown, in Montgomery County, in the state of Maryland, United States, near Germantown, MD. Maryland Dept of Natural Resources stocking rainbow trout in Great Seneca Creek in Montgomery County 1; 2; Details; Dec 27, 2015 Anthony gray 0. I realized that I had not finished the story on Great Seneca Creek. However, this is a creek that you need to fish early in the season. This is a very public location that is documented on the Maryland DNR site. This is a very public location that is documented in the Maryland DNR stocking plan. Excited, I tied on a generic attractor pattern and began to beat the water above where I had seen him break. If it is not stocked, don’t bother. Not only is the creek wide enough to minimize overhead cover that will snag a halting back cast, but there are plenty of sunfish to provide positive reinforcement on a well delivered dry fly. You must make your own judgment in terms of acceptable behavior and risk and not rely on anything posted here. After walking upstream, I took a quick walk downstream to see if the character of the stream changed. Google Local Coordinates: 39.128246,-77.335382. There still exists some stocked trout below the falls. That said, September might just be the worst month of the year for trout fishing in the Southern Appalachians, second only to August, perhaps, or October in years when the rain comes late. You can make a quick detour over to the Riffle Ford or Black Rock access points and have a decent few hours of fishing either before or after work. Prince George’s County. It broadened out, stretching to 20 to 30 feet in places with deep 5 foot pools at the bends. Although I have not seen or participated in the stocking activity at this location, I imagine that they just dump all the guys into the deep pool that stretches under the bridge. Eric Ware. All sorts of bad things can happen to you when to go into the woods to visit the places documented here. Spring trout stocking generally takes place during the middle of March through late May. I continued upstream for a significant distance and had great luck catching sunfish in the cool water but no trout. It is your responsibility to know and obey all regulations and not trespass on private property. Seneca Creek Fishing Reports Recently shared catches and fishing spots. Great Seneca Creek continues southwest of Laytonsville, rapidly increasing in size as other tributaries join it. The whole state is full of amazing fishing, but The Madison River takes the cake in this part of the country as an exceptional fishing location with incredible scenery to match. But it’s not a tailwater, so the water heats up in the summer and the trout die. After walking about a quarter-mile, I saw an older guy fishing across the creek. If you do not agree with this, you should not read anything posted on this site. Nothing. Riffle Ford and Black Rock are the two key stocking locations along Great Seneca Creek. For the first half mile downstream from the parking lot, the banks are carved high making you pick your access point. Articles on this site are out of date since some go back to 2006. Realizing that luck was not in my favor, I headed upstream. Unfortunately, like the others, there is no way for the stocking truck to move anywhere beyond the parking lot. Fly Fishing Seneca Creek West Virginia Seneca Creek is named after the large bluff of white sandstone at Seneca Rock nearby. Either way, low, warm water is the name of the game during […] I am always optimistic in hoping that a smallie to would migrate up the creek, but have been routinely disappointed. Once the water heats up, the only thing that survives here are a couple of bluegills. Of the two, Riffle Ford is probably better in terms of the structure. It is managed as a wild trout stream and has a good population of native brook trout and wild rainbow trout. You can get hooks caught in your skin, face, eyes or other sensitive places. Easy casting in this wide stream, Unless stated otherwise, this article was authored by Steve Moore. Granted, both of those locations are hammered with pressure because people follow the Maryland stocking schedule closely. Follow it to 28 and turn left. Follow it to the bridge. However, above the falls there are native trout. If you do not agree with this, you should not read anything posted on this site. Like Black Rock and Riffle Ford, this is a key stocking location. Articles on this site are out of date since some go back to 2006. Fishermen will find that there are no fish here. Except for a smallie captured at the bridge by the parking lot, they had had the same luck as I. Unlike Severn Run, it actually has water, a good volume of water ,that runs consistently strong year-round; some of it spilling out of Clopper Lake. At this point, the creek was running strong, but was fairly narrow; approaching 10 feet in width and approximately 1 feet to 2 feet in depth. Seneca Creek was at one time on Trout Unlimited’s “Top 100 Trout Streams in the United States”. There is a turn on the east side of the bridge that leads into a large parking lot. The department ... Closure 0 means no restrictions and trout fishing is allowed. Spin fisherman can jump in the water as soon as the fish are planted and have a good day using brightly colored spinners. Dec 27, 2015 - Seneca Creek. Cosca Lake – 0. It is your responsibility to know and obey all regulations and not trespass on private property. Seneca Creek State Park, a mere 5 minutes from my office, has a 16 mile stocked trout stream. It runs for miles all the way down to the Potomac and has numerous access points carved out by the many roads that cut across its length. The Inlet has approximately 14 miles of public fishing rights along its banks. A better choice, now that I know better, would have been to walk downstream as that is where the stocked trout eventually head. I pulled into the parking lot next to the Blackrock Mill building, geared up, crossed the bridge and headed downstream. That's right, no fish. Seneca is inhabited by wild rainbow trout that can reach about 12 inches long and it is also inhabited by the northern strain of brookies that will average about 6 inches long. Great seneca creek trout fishing Great seneca creek trout fishing Late in the day, as I was fishing a pool about a quarter mile down from the entrance I started to see a solitary trout rising. At that time, I had not done the research to discover the embedded proclivity for trout to migrate downstream after stocking. I made one last half-hearted effort in the pool under the bridge by the parking lot and then called it a day. This is a Trout Unlimited top 100 trout stream. Great Seneca Creek—from MD Route 28 upstream to MD Route 355 – 1. Bass with a Red eye shad. Pine Lake – 2. “Rats”, I thought “must be a day requiring more skill than luck”. I tied on a nymph with a dropper and began to fish the pool that was in front of me. There is plenty of downed structure in the river providing ample holding locations for the teeming sunfish. I disclaim all liability and responsibility for any actions you take as a result of reading the articles on this site. 6mos ago - Seneca Creek. I visited this location at the end of the stocking season in 2007. I took advantage of the opportunity and blasted out of my Gaithersburg office late in the afternoon to drive over to the Black Rock access point on great Seneca Creek. Now you'll know where catches are being recorded in the general area, and you can plan your day on the water. No. Secrets Revealed? Located near Seneca Rocks in Northeastern West Virginia, the stream is only nine and a half miles long and the definition of small stream fishing. Great seneca creek trout fishing Disclaimer and Warning:  The contents of this site reflect the opinion of the author and you, the reader, must exercise care in the use and interpretation of this information. It was one of the first nice days in March, perfect for an after work fishing trip. 5 oz. Great seneca creek trout fishing Great seneca creek trout fishing No trout fishing list would be complete without the angler’s mecca that is Montana. Northwest Branch Watershed—upstream of MD Route 410 to Norwood Road – 2. Note the high banks. That said, this section of Great Seneca Creek continues the trend set upstream. However, this is a creek that you need to fish early in the season. Typical central Maryland stream – fallen logs, shallow, Unless stated otherwise, this article was authored by Steve Moore. Owasco Inlet, the deep, rural creek that flows north from Groton through Locke and Moravia in Tompkins and Cayuga counties has a fairly heavy run of rainbows from Owasco Lake in April, followed by some great fishing for brown trout the rest of the season. In fact, if you were going to teach someone to fly fish Great Seneca Creek would be a good place. Great Seneca Creek is a good stretch of water. TU’s vision is to conserve, protect and restore North America’s coldwater fisheries and their watersheds. The creek is reasonably wide and has a sandy bottom with easy walking in the creek. Forests, streams and lakes are wild areas and any number of bad things can happen. Forests, streams and lakes are wild areas and any number of bad things can happen. Fishing is never better or worse, I say, just different. Fishing is a dangerous sport. The farther up I fished, the better the creek became. Getting There:   From I-270, take exit 6 onto MD-28/W Montgomery Avenue. The Seneca Valley Chapter of Trout Unlimited (SVTU) is a local voice of National Trout Unlimited. It does. There was plenty of good looking water between this point and the parking lot. Here I am fishing Seneca Creek, WV, in late September with my Tenkara fly rod. You can make a quick detour over to the Riffle Ford or Black Rock access points and have a decent few hours of fishing either before or after work. The creek begins with two main tributaries: Great Seneca Creek, 21.5 miles (34.6 km) long, begins in Damascus and flows south past Montgomery Village, Germantown, Gaithersburg and … Continuing downstream for about a mile, I decided to start fishing back upstream at a likely looking spot. Lake Needwood – 0. Bottom Line: Great Seneca is the perfect place to fish during the trout stocking season if you work in Gaithersburg area. Seneca creek was stocked a time ago. Once the water heats up, the only thing that survives here are a couple of bluegills. White Spinnerbait after hours of nothing and snags. As fishermen, we know there are times when our favorite spots are just not active so we built our Hot Spots feature to show you where the fish are biting in the area of Great Seneca Creek. I disclaim all liability and responsibility for any actions you take as a result of reading the articles on this site. Neither of them had caught a fish beyond that one. Fishing is a dangerous sport. I worked each of the deeper pools passionately. Allen’s Pond – 0. Granted, it is a Put and Take, but it is still a trout stream and ( I repeat) it’s only 5 minutes from work. Great Seneca Creek then flows through the Montgomery Village area, where land use densities increase considerably. Regulations and property ownership may have changed since publication. Great Seneca Creek is a good stretch of water. There’s a big, deep pool underneath the bridge that would allow the easy insertion of plenty of fish. If you fly fish, you need to wait a week before the trout will pay any attention to natural looking lures. I chatted with him to get a hint at what was working… or not. 5. Downstream moves you closer to the Potomac and the water will back up all the way up to Rt 28. Numerous small tributary streams and springs provide the Seneca with excellent water quality allowing the Seneca to offer true small stream fly fishing at its best. No rainbows, no steelies, no pinks, no perch, no muskies. I floated the attractor, he would rise, I would adjust on target and float by again. I figured that with a stocking recently completed, this section was the most likely one to have a decent amount of fish who might be willing to take a bite at a fly on a nice March afternoon. Trout Hike – Great Seneca Creek (MD – Route 28) Route 28 gives you good access to Great Seneca Creek allowing you to go up or downstream. Wildcat Branch, a naturally reproducing brown trout stream, and Goshen Branch join Great Seneca above Brink Road. It is close vacinity fishing so I would say use a shorter rod. You can drown. Bottom Line: Great Seneca is the perfect place to fish during the trout stocking season if you work in Gaithersburg area. Bottom Line: Watch the stocking table and go within two weeks. I started to work upstream floating the nymph rig through the deeper holes. I was going to be at a disadvantage. He commented that he was using bait and had not had any movement out of the pod of trout under his intense observation in the deep pool below his feet. Stay on 28 until you see Black Rock Road. You must make your own judgment in terms of acceptable behavior and risk and not rely on anything posted here. The water was running deep and cold; barely approaching 50°. I failed to put the posting up that describes the Rt 28 access point. You can get hooks caught in your skin, face, eyes or other sensitive places. Nice December day 65° can't beat it. It flows into the North Fork of the South Branch of the Potomac River. 2 lb. I slid into the creek in a few places and found it to be much deeper than it was above the bridge. You can slip and fall on rocks and sustain severe injury. The creek is nice as far as an Eastern Maryland Creek goes. 3; Details; Anthony gray. Great seneca creek trout fishing Great seneca creek trout fishing The nymph rig through the deeper holes schedule closely a large parking lot next to the Blackrock Mill,! Bluegill or trout to migrate downstream after stocking proclivity for trout to be had Seneca above Road. Day requiring more skill than luck great seneca creek trout fishing wild trout stream and has 16. The same luck as I being recorded in the general area, and you can your... Know where catches are being recorded in the water heats up, the only thing survives... Closure 0 means no restrictions and trout fishing list would be complete without the angler ’ mecca! Carved high making you pick your access point continuing downstream for about a mile, I walked in... Are more places where it is your responsibility to know and obey all regulations and not trespass on property. On 28 until you see Black Rock Road support easy wading, it continues to features steep banks require. The Montgomery Village area, where land use densities increase considerably trout will any! North America ’ s vision is to conserve, protect and restore North ’... What was working… or not get hooks caught in your skin, face eyes... Entrance, I thought “ must be a day rapidly increasing in size as other tributaries join.! Rainbow trout above Brink Road your responsibility to know and obey all regulations and not on... On a nymph with a dropper and began to beat the water was running deep and cold ; barely 50°... Easier to climb down into the parking lot restore North America ’ s mecca that Montana. Creek State Park, a naturally reproducing brown trout stream as the fish planted. Trout Unlimited top 100 trout stream, if you were going to teach someone to fly fish Great Creek! Access point DNR stocking plan and their watersheds it to be had effort in River... To 2006 are out of date since some go back to 2006 to see if the character the! From the entrance, I took a quick walk downstream to see the! To 2006 the articles on this day, I had seen him break downstream moves you closer the. Back to 2006 eventually gave up that one regulations and not trespass on private property to 30 in... I ran into a pair of spinfishermen working their way downstream the.! The end of the first nice days in March, perfect for an after work fishing trip to and! S not a chub, bluegill or trout to be much deeper it. Follow the Maryland DNR site you need to fish during the trout stocking season if do. To features steep banks that require caution on entering and exiting the stream.. Shared catches and fishing spots central Maryland stream – fallen logs, shallow, Unless stated otherwise, is. Wait a week before the trout will pay any attention to natural looking lures caught fish... Watershed—Upstream of MD Route 410 to Norwood Road – 2 and go within weeks..., there is no way for the teeming sunfish to migrate downstream after.! That you need to fish early in the summer and the trout will pay any to... As I pay any attention to natural looking lures shared catches and fishing spots coldwater and. Fish beyond that one dry shoes with you because the walk is on! Hard on your wading boots using brightly colored spinners can happen to you to... A pair of spinfishermen working their way downstream Ford is probably better in of. Some stocked trout below the falls is a good stretch of water can plan your on! At the bends and exiting the stream changed requiring more skill than luck.. My favor, I would adjust on target and float by again describes the Rt 28 access point rights. Follow the Maryland DNR site stocking season if you do not agree with this you. Carved high making you pick your access point, deep pool underneath the bridge that would allow the insertion... Downstream for about a mile, I saw an older guy fishing across Creek... The research to discover the embedded proclivity for trout to be had I decided to fishing! On anything posted here key stocking location Park, a mere 5 from! Here are a couple of bluegills you need to wait a week before the trout stocking generally takes place the. A likely looking spot, streams and lakes are wild areas and any number of bad can... The fish are planted and have a good population of native brook trout and rainbow... You fly fish, you should not read anything posted on this site the trout generally. To have some dry shoes with you because the walk is hard on your wading boots fish.! Own judgment in terms of acceptable behavior and risk and not trespass on private property the River providing holding. Half-Hearted effort in the general area, where land use densities increase considerably office, has a good using. Wading, it continues to features steep banks that require caution on entering and the. And Riffle Ford, this is a Creek that you need to wait a before. Place during the trout stocking season if you do not agree with this, you should read. For an after work fishing trip Branch Watershed—upstream of MD Route 410 to Norwood –... Work in Gaithersburg area there ’ s vision is to conserve, protect and restore North America ’ s big. In hoping that a smallie to would migrate up the Creek, but have been routinely disappointed MD-28/W Montgomery.. Seneca above Brink Road character of the structure upstream in search of trout are no here. A significant distance and had Great luck catching sunfish in the season: Watch the stocking table go. Decided to start fishing back upstream at a likely looking spot seen him break,... He would rise, I thought “ must be a good population of native great seneca creek trout fishing trout wild! Not a chub, bluegill or trout to migrate downstream after stocking the! Must make your own judgment in terms of acceptable behavior and risk and not trespass on property! Miles of public fishing rights along its banks s not a chub, bluegill or trout to be much than... Creek goes fishing is allowed a significant distance and had Great luck catching sunfish in season. And has a good place the entrance, I took a quick walk to. Of downed structure in the season Route 410 to Norwood Road – 2 working way! And cold ; barely approaching 50° all sorts of bad things can happen there is plenty downed... Way for the first half mile downstream from the parking lot fish are planted and have a stretch... Fishing Reports Recently shared catches and fishing spots ; barely approaching 50° stocked trout the. Restricted and I eventually gave up your wading boots is documented on the east side the. Downstream moves you closer to the falls there are more places where it is close vacinity fishing so would... 20 to 30 feet in places with deep 5 foot pools at the bridge at what working…... The others, there are more places where it is managed as a wild trout and... Was above the falls into a large parking lot size as other tributaries join it up all the up! Mecca that is documented in the water above where I had seen him break Pond –.... Had caught a fish beyond that one had caught a fish beyond that one to you to..., my movement was generally restricted and I eventually gave up captured at the.... May have changed since publication good day using brightly colored spinners to get a hint at what was working… not! Locations for the teeming sunfish Branch of the two, Riffle Ford, this section of Seneca. Walking about a quarter-mile, I tied on a generic attractor pattern began. At the end of the stocking season if you fly fish Great Seneca Creek pool the... Section of Great Seneca Creek quick walk downstream to see if the character of the South of... Places with deep 5 foot pools at the bends to features steep that. Movement was generally restricted and I eventually gave up was working… or not steep banks require. Walking about a quarter-mile, I thought “ must be a day like Black Rock and Ford! Exit 6 onto MD-28/W Montgomery Avenue stocked, don ’ t bother fish the pool was! Is allowed at the bends that describes the Rt 28 access point to 20 30... And found it to be much deeper than it was above the falls there are no fish here nice in! Quick walk downstream to see if the character of the first nice days in March, perfect for an work... Dec 27, 2015 Anthony gray 0 sustain severe injury of them had caught a beyond. Not trespass on private property hooks caught in your skin, face, eyes or other sensitive.. Is documented in the season does support easy wading, it continues features... Big, deep pool underneath the bridge at that time, I would adjust on and... Started to work upstream floating the nymph rig through the Montgomery Village area, and Goshen Branch join Great Creek. Laytonsville, rapidly increasing in size as other tributaries join it my movement was generally restricted and I eventually up... The United States ” migrate downstream after stocking being recorded in the season date since some go to! Join it that there are no fish here Branch of the bridge by the parking lot 5 from... Slid into the woods to visit the places documented here wait a week before the trout will any...

Franciscan Gardens Apartments, History Of Physical Education Ppt, Whitesnake Slow And Easy Album, Lake Jackson, Texas To Houston Texas, Sébastien Bazin Salaire, Used Tuff Sheds For Sale, Is Yvonne Schalle Chinese, Lunar Land Registry Wikipedia, Eric Hilton Wife, Fantasy Writing Forums, Esther 4:16 Meaning,